Namdar Gopal Krishna Gokhale
A great statesman, educationist, social reformer and patriot after whom our society is named.
Gokhale Education Society was established on 19th February 1918 - the third death anniversary of Namdar Gopal Krishna Gokhale, by his illustrious disciple Late Prin. Trimbak Appa Kulkarni. The Society started with a school at Girgaon known as D. G. T. High School, a school at Girangaon, known as R. M. Bhatt High school and a school at Bordi known as S. P. H. high school, mainly for the adivasis with a bias for agriculture. It was in 1924 that Prin. T. A. Kulkarni thought of establishing a centre of higher education at Nasik by establishing an intermediate Arts college affiliated to Bombay University. It was then the first mofussil college in the whole of erstwhile Bombay Presidency. Prin. Kulkarni always thought of developing quality citizenship and self sufficient training and learning activity, It was there fore quite natural that he introduced along with humanities , along with humanities, agriculture and vocational trades on one hand and sports and boating activities at another. The college started with 90 students and it was only after his 24 years of pricipalship that the science stream was added in 1948 with an enrolment of around 500 students. It was only after the establishment of an independent commerce college in 1957 that arts and science streams attracted nearly about 1000 students in addition to the enrollment of 165 students for the commerce stream in the first year of commerce college.